Our Environmental Commitment
From our inception, we have committed to supporting the environment in which we recreate.
• We donate at least 1% of our revenues to environmental organizations that support fish habitat.
• Between excise taxes and our 1% donations, every Tenkara USA rod purchased helps contribute an average of $14 to conservation efforts.
• We organize periodic stream cleanups. Volunteers and our team members have collected thousands of pounds of trash from streams.
• We are almost plastic-free in our packaging and will reach that goal by the end of 2020.
Tenkara USA is the only tenkara company committed to
donating at least 1% of its revenues (sales, not profits) to environmental organizations.
Main Organizations We Support:
1% for the Planet
Tenkara USA has been a 1% for the Planet member since its inception. Every year we donate 1% of our revenues to environmental organizations that protect trout habitat.
Our membership with 1% for the Planet is our commitment to support environmental organizations that look after the waters we fish. This is our set-on-stone commitment to donate money from our sales, 1% of our total revenues, to support the sport you love. Whether we are profitable or not, you can be sure that the more people buy a Tenkara USA rod, the more money is sent to organizations that help keep the waters you fish clean.
Getting rid of plastic
In early 2020, we started moving away from all single-use plastic used in packaging within our company. And we are currently 90% single-plastic free within our company!
We probably don’t have to elaborate much on how the plastic pollution problem our planet is facing. Let’s just say, it is a big deal. It is everywhere, and we don’t want to contribute to that.
In early 2020, we started moving away from all single-use plastic used in packaging within our company. It wasn’t a whole lot to begin with, but we had plastic bags wrapped around the rod cases to keep them from getting scratched, handles of rods were wrapped in plastic to keep them intact, and some product packaged in plastic as well. As we have used up the plastic materials we purchased in the past, we have been replacing plastic with paper. We still have a good number of lines that are in plastic packaging, and it makes no sense to replace them before we sell out of them, but once these lines are out we will have completed eliminated plastic from our packaging.
Products from which we eliminated plastic packaging
– Tenkara rods, removed
– Tenkara rod handles, removed
– Tenkara rod cases, replaced with paper
– Level lines, replaced plastic boxes with paper
– Furled tapered tenkara lines, transitioned to minimal paper envelopes
– Fly boxes, got rid of plastic bags
– Flies, we package our flies in a glass vial with a cork top
– T-shirts, now wrapped in paper
Products we still need to transition away from plastic
– Tapered nylon lines, still in a plastic envelope, new paper packaged to be used as soon as we sell out our current inventory
– Keeper, still in plastic bags stapled to paper header card, new box coming soon
– Trucker hats, will get rid of the bags in our next batch
10%* from the sale of every item we sell is passed on to the Fish and Wildlife departments of state governments. This tax, levied on sport fishing manufacturers based in the US, is used to manage the places we fish. *up to $10 per item
On average, every Tenkara USA rod set sold will mean $16 is passed on to protecting the waters we fish.
Many anglers do not realize that sport fishing equipment companies based in the US pass on 10%* from the sale of every item they sell to the Fish and Wildlife departments of state governments.
Between fishing license fees and excise taxes, anglers are the largest contributor to the management of water habitat. Tenkara USA is proud to play its part.
This is an excise tax levied on sport fishing equipment manufacturers, such as Tenkara USA, to support the places we fish. It is a tax that is additional to our 1% for the Planet commitment.
*up to $10 per item
Fostering a passion for fly-fishing, and backing it up by supporting organizations that help care for trout habitat is a part of who we are. Tenkara USA is proud to support the good work of environmental organizations such as Trout Unlimited, and completely honored to be named one of America’s Most Trout Friend Companies by Trout Unlimited.
Cleanups and Trout Stewards
The simplicity of tenkara has allowed thousands of people to take up fly-fishing in the last few years. Tenkara is trout friendly because it makes it easy for more people to fall in love with trout.
When people get introduced to the beauty of the streams and rivers in which we fly-fish, they will want to look after those waters. Tenkara has introduced many people to fly-fishing, and with that, we have helped create many new stewards for the environment.
We hold stream cleanups and events periodically to help continue to do our part in conservation. Follow us on Facebook, or keep an eye on our events page for updates on cleanup opportunities.