As more people take up fly-fishing through tenkara it is important that we follow some best-practices when catching and releasing fish. In this Short Cast episode Daniel discusses some simple best-practices we need to keep in mind when releasing fish to ensure they live a healthy life after being released.
Referenced in this episode:
Tenkara Cast episode on Catching and Keeping v. Catching and Releasing: https://www.tenkarausa.com/myportfolio/catch-and-keep-and-catch-and-release/
1) Bring fish in quickly
2) Minimize handling of fish (using barbless hooks and a net help tremendously)
3) Wet your hand before touching a fish
4) Keep it wet and in the water as much as possible (please do not place a fish on dry ground for photos)
5) Do not squeeze fish when handling it
6) Release a fish with it facing the current and letting it go under its own power when it is ready.