The auction has now closed.
We’re delighted to announce Sandy Auction by Tenkara USA. We have raised $1,026 in funds.
A beneficiary organization will be chosen shortly. We will focus on organizations that are on the ground right now. Preference will be given to 1% for the Planet non-profit members. Suggestions are welcomed.
Just as I (Tenkara USA) have started becoming more familiar and establishing stronger ties with the parts of the East Coast of the United States – visiting North Carolina and Virginia less than 2 weeks ago, and agreeing to host the 3rd Tenkara Summit in the region – the area became subject to great devastation caused by Hurricane Sandy. I feel lucky to have missed the hurricane by less than 2 weeks, but sympathize with the millions of people who are in the area and will be struggling for weeks to come in the wake of Sandy. With the help of Thom Darrah from TrailLite Designs (our partner in another auction we held last year to benefit victims of the Tsunami in Japan) we hope to count on your help to provide assistance to those in need on the East Coast of the US. We’ll make it very appetizing to you by offering the unique tenkara items listed below.
To participate: please click on the item you desire. You will be taken to the auction page for that item hosted in our forum. The auction will be held through our forum (YES, YOU WILL HAVE TO REGISTER IF YOU ARE NOT A FORUM MEMBER), with responses counting as bids. The highest bidder will be contacted and will send us the money via Paypal (this will help us avoid any charges from auction sites and generally keep the procedures on my side simpler). And, we’ll ship the exclusive item to the bidder. Shipping cost will be covered by us for USA bidders, additional shipping will be charged to bidders outside the USA.
AUCTION ENDS ON MONDAY, NOVEMBER 5th at 6PM, PST (9PM EST).
1) The big one: A full tenkara set comprising of new Tenkara USA “not-yet-available-and-exclusive” prototypes that we plan on releasing in 2013. This set consists of a new 12ft-13ft-14ft7in zoom rod (planned release for 2013); 2 new level lines (super-high-vis orange and super-high-vis pink lines, 20ft each); the Tenkara USA strap-pack to hold all your tenkara items (available soon). Minimum bid: $250
2) Tamo branch, expertly selected and cut by Tenkara USA founder Daniel Galhardo in the California Sierra Nevada. This branch has been selected, debarked, formed to shape and dried for the last 6 months and is ready to be crafted into your own tamo. “It is one of the nicest branches I had”, says Daniel (that’s me). It comes with a mesh bag properly fit for it.
3) Tenkara Summit 2012 poster designed by Anthony Naples (who lives in Pennsylvania) and signed by Dr. Ishigaki, Eiji Yamakawa, Kiyoshi Ishikawa, Masami Tanaka, Daniel Galhardo, TJ, Masaki Nakano and John Vetterli right at the end of the summit. Poster was printed in high-quality tear-proof paper. Dimension: 18″ x 27 1/2″.MINIMUM BID: $25
4) Items donated by Thom Darrah of TrailLite Designs: Tenkara Ebira Quiver and TCreel (an elegantly designed fishing creel if you want to keep fish). Minimum Bid: $80
5) TrailLite Designs Ultralight tenkara net (TiNet). Lightweight construction, carbon-fiber handle and titanium hoop. MINIMUM BID: $100
HAPPY BIDDING, AND THANK YOU FOR HELPING THOSE IN NEED.
100% OF THE AMOUNT BID (We will cover the commissions taken by paypal and even the shipping cost) WILL GO TO AN ORGANIZATION INVOLVED IN HELPING THOSE IN NEED. ORGANIZATION TO BE DETERMINED.